IT’S TIME TO #TIPTHESCALES
Peace. Democracy. Sustainable development. Equality.
To achieve each of these visions for a better world, we must be able to protect our basic rights and hold the powerful accountable. That is the purpose of law.
Yet the UN estimates that 4 billion people live outside the protection of the law: They do not understand it, cannot use it, and do not get to shape it. As a result, they can be driven from their land, intimidated by violence, and excluded from society. For them, injustice is the norm.
But change is within reach.
Justice defenders are bringing down barriers that prevent people and communities from accessing justice. Now, governments need to do their part.
In 2015, 193 countries agreed to make “access to justice for all” one of the goals for achieving sustainable development by 2030. This marked a huge shift in global thinking. But, the work of justice defenders remains chronically underfunded, and the defenders themselves are increasingly at risk.
We cannot let this continue.
learn about the issue
A GLOBAL CAMPAIGN BUILT ON GRASSROOTS ACTIVITY
Organizations around the world are using the Justice For All campaign to achieve remarkable things.
Click on the map to learn about local events, activities, tools, and supporters.
Think Justice Consultation
“We believe frontline justice defenders are the heart of the justice movement. If you are working to achieve justice, we invite you to share your experiences and perspectives on the justice needs you see in your community and country, and the solutions you believe in.”
This campaign is powered by the Global Legal Empowerment Network
and is supported by the following partners:
- Namatinamati.orgNamati is a legal empowerment organization dedicated to putting the law into people’s hands. We pa...#WalkTogethertheelders.orgAmidst growing intolerance and polarisation, The Elders mark their 10th anniversary by launching a g...
- World Justice Projectworldjusticeproject.orgThe World Justice Project® (WJP) is an independent, multidisciplinary organization working to advan...Rule Of Law Initiativewww.americanbar.orgThe mission of the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative is to promote justice, economic o...
- ACIJacij.org.arLa Asociación Civil por la Igualdad y la Justicia (ACIJ) es una organización apartidaria, sin fine...Open Society Justice Initiativewww.opensocietyfoundations.orgThe Open Society Justice Initiative is an operational program of the Open Society Foundations—rath...
- Landesawww.landesa.orgLandesa partners with progressive governments and civil society to develop pro-poor and gender-sensi...Street Lawwww.streetlaw.org.zaThe overarching aim of Street Law South Africa is to contribute to building a democratic society roo...
- Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natallaw.ukzn.ac.zaThe Centre for Socio-Legal Studies was established to house the Street Law programme and to provide ...Paralegal Advisory Servicewww.pasimalawi.orgThe Paralegal Advisory Service (PASI) started in Malawi in May 2000 as an initiative of Penal Reform...
- Kituokituochasheria.or.keKituo cha sheria (Kituo) is a human rights non-governmental organization committed to helping the di...Paralegal Advisory Services Ugandawww.fhri.or.ugParalegal Advisory Services Uganda is an access to justice program. Justice is a rare commodity espe...
- Community Legal Centres Queenslandcommunitylegalqld.org.auCommunity Legal Centres Queensland provides support and advocacy for 33 independent, community-led c...Network Movement for Democracy and Human Rightswww.peaceinsight.orgNetwork Movement for Democracy and Human Rights is a Non-governmental civil society and human right ...
- Mongolian Bar Associationwww.mglbar.mnThe Mongolian Bar Association...Bernstein Institute for Human Rightswww.law.nyu.eduHonoring and extending the legacy of Robert L. Bernstein, the Bernstein Institute for Human Rights a...
See All Supporters