IT'S TIME TO #TIPTHESCALES TOWARDS #JUSTICEFORALL
Peace. Democracy. Sustainable development. Equality.
To achieve each of these visions for a better world, we must be able to protect our basic rights and hold the powerful accountable. That is the purpose of law.
Yet the UN estimates that 4 billion people live outside the protection of the law: They do not understand it, cannot use it, and do not get to shape it. As a result, they can be driven from their land, intimidated by violence, and excluded from society. For them, injustice is the norm.
But change is within reach.
Justice defenders are bringing down barriers that prevent people and communities from accessing justice. Now, governments need to do their part.
In 2015, 193 countries agreed to make “access to justice for all” one of the goals for achieving sustainable development by 2030. This marked a huge shift in global thinking. But, the work of justice defenders remains chronically underfunded, and the defenders themselves are increasingly at risk.
We cannot let this continue.
New Fund Launched
For over 3 years, the Justice For All has campaigned for increased financing for grassroots justice defenders. Individuals and organizations from countries across the world have come together to call on governments and foundations to step up to fund this vital work and to deliver SDG16. Today, a new fund was launched in direct response to those efforts.
MOBILISING $1 MILLION FOR GRASSROOTS JUSTICE
The COVID-19 pandemic is a justice crisis. The same structural injustices and inequalities that impacted the lives of vulnerable people before the crisis now determine who suffers the most from it.
Across the globe, grassroots justice defenders are taking on the myriad justice issues the pandemic has created or exacerbated, all while facing severe funding shortages.
It is for this reason that we've launched the COVID-19 Grassroots Justice Fund, with the aim of mobilsing US$1 million to support 100 grassroots justice groups within 12-18 months.
learn about the issue
A GLOBAL CAMPAIGN BUILT ON GRASSROOTS ACTIVITY
Organizations around the world are using the Justice For All campaign to achieve remarkable things.
Click on the map to learn about local events, activities, tools, and supporters.
- If You Want Peace & Development, (Protect and Finance those who) Work for Social Justice!
- Argentina’s Minister of Justice on Delivering Justice For All
- A look back at last month’s Grassroots Justice Prize & #JusticeForAll Campaign Launch
- Watch the Grassroots Justice Prize Ceremony and JusticeForAll campaign launch
Mobilizing $100million for Justice Defenders
For over 3 years, the Justice For All has campaigned for increased financing for grassroots justice defenders. Individuals and organizations from countries across the world have come together to call on governments and foundations to step up to fund this vital work and to deliver SDG16. Today, a new fund was launched in direct response to those efforts. The Legal Empowerment Fund is a bold new initiative aimed at closing the global justice gap and providing urgently needed, long-term support to grassroots justice defenders and organizations. Over ten years, the Legal Empowerment Fund aims to raise $100 million to strengthen ...
This campaign is powered by the Global Legal Empowerment Network
and is supported by the following partners:
- Namatinamati.orgNamati is a legal empowerment organization dedicated to putting the law into people’s hands. We pa...#WalkTogethertheelders.orgAmidst growing intolerance and polarisation, The Elders mark their 10th anniversary by launching a g...
- World Justice Projectworldjusticeproject.orgThe World Justice Project® (WJP) is an independent, multidisciplinary organization working to advan...Rule Of Law Initiativewww.americanbar.orgThe mission of the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative is to promote justice, economic o...
- ACIJacij.org.arLa Asociación Civil por la Igualdad y la Justicia (ACIJ) es una organización apartidaria, sin fine...Open Society Justice Initiativewww.opensocietyfoundations.orgThe Open Society Justice Initiative is an operational program of the Open Society Foundations—rath...
- Landesawww.landesa.orgLandesa partners with progressive governments and civil society to develop pro-poor and gender-sensi...Street Lawwww.streetlaw.org.zaThe overarching aim of Street Law South Africa is to contribute to building a democratic society roo...
- Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natallaw.ukzn.ac.zaThe Centre for Socio-Legal Studies was established to house the Street Law programme and to provide ...Paralegal Advisory Servicewww.pasimalawi.orgThe Paralegal Advisory Service (PASI) started in Malawi in May 2000 as an initiative of Penal Reform...
- Kituokituochasheria.or.keKituo cha sheria (Kituo) is a human rights non-governmental organization committed to helping the di...Paralegal Advisory Services Ugandawww.fhri.or.ugParalegal Advisory Services Uganda is an access to justice program. Justice is a rare commodity espe...
- Community Legal Centres Queenslandcommunitylegalqld.org.auCommunity Legal Centres Queensland provides support and advocacy for 33 independent, community-led c...Network Movement for Democracy and Human Rightswww.peaceinsight.orgNetwork Movement for Democracy and Human Rights is a Non-governmental civil society and human right ...
- Mongolian Bar Associationwww.mglbar.mnThe Mongolian Bar Association...Bernstein Institute for Human Rightswww.law.nyu.eduHonoring and extending the legacy of Robert L. Bernstein, the Bernstein Institute for Human Rights a...
- National Legal Aid and Defender Associationwww.nlada.orgBecause the quality of justice in America should not depend on how much money a person has, NLADA le...The Justice in Government Project at American Universityamerican.eduJustice for all improves lives and sustains our democracy. While some people know that civil legal a...
See All Supporters